Thursday, January 2, 2014

Homemade Fruit Cake

I am pathetically late but anyways, you all love me and I hope you will forgive me! Happy New Year my friends. May this year bring you good health, peace and happiness.

What a year 2013 has been. There were several milestones reached by us as a family this year. Most impact full was the decision of homecoming. After spending more than six years across the Atlantic, we decided to move back closer home.

Our little girl turned two. When did that happen? Now a constant chatter box she always keeps melting my heart.

My lil munchkin


The year started with packing our stuff for the move, we have to leave behind so many things we loved and cherished that it makes me sad even now. But I also realized that we used to possess way many stuffs than we needed. So, this year we really made an effort to avoid mindless shopping, be it pantry items to accessories, toys, from anything and everything.

Another biggie of the year, I started this space, my blog, cannot believe its almost one year old. In my own little way I really enjoy this space and my heartfelt thanks to people who read it.

Overall, it was a good year. I tried my hand in baking and surprisingly I liked it. In no way I am a good baker, I keep doing mistakes, but I love the fact that these days my family usually have breads and cakes made by me. 

Okay, now to the fruit cake. This was the "fruit cake" my Maa used to make when growing up. She is in no way a baker but this was a yearly treat she made. But when I asked her the recipe she said, "don't remember, have not made it in ages'.
Me: Why did not you write it down?
Maa: Never thought of writing a blog!
Me: Yeah, thank you!

But she did say that she got it from my baker Aunt P and said she might help. Thanks Aunt P for the recipe, you made my day.

Ingredients

All purpose flour - 1& 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup (You can add more if you like)
Eggs - 3, medium
White oil - 1/2 cup
Milk - 1/2 cup (room temperature)
Baking powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Vanilla - 1/2 teaspoon
Raisins- Fistfull
Dried fruits and nuts - Fistful
Salt - To taste


Sift the flour, add sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well.

To the same bowl add eggs, whisk it well. I used my hand mixer, about 2 minutes. Add the milk, oil and vanilla and give it a good mix.



Add half of the raisins and fruit/nuts to the mix and mix it gently. Add 1 tablespoon of flour to the remaining fruits/nuts and coat well.



Butter the cake pan well and pour the mixture to it. Dust off the excess flour from the fruits/nuts coated with flour and spread on the top.


Bake it at 180C for 25-30 minutes or till fork comes out clear in the middle (I baked for 25 minutes).



This is a nice simple everyday cake that can be eaten with tea/coffee or as evening snack. It is nothing fancy yet the taste lingers in your mouth and makes you feel good.

It turned out so good and we liked it so much, that it was gone by half a day, and withing 3 days I baked one more.



Cheers to 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment