Monday, October 28, 2013

Witch Fingers and Happy Halloween

Trick or treat?  Halloween was unheard of when I was growing up. I came to know in details about it during my stay in US. I do not know why, I loved it (maybe the candy part allured me). I loved to visit the pumpkin patches and carved the pumpkins. We did it even after lil A was born, although last two years she did not get it all, I guess. I talked to her about Halloween yesterday, and she liked the part to go out for trick or treat. Mamma's gal! I was a bit busy last two weeks and did not have time to look out for a pumpkin to carve. Also, it is a bit hard to found, at least I did not found any, so we skipped pumpkin carving this year. Instead to wish you Halloween we have witch fingers to send a chill down your spine!

Lil A was initially a little uncomfortable looking at the fingers and keep saying, "bhoy! bhalo na" aka, I am scared, not good. But I insisted that she try it and she liked it. Licked all the blood, oops, jam from the finger. But, I failed to convince my mom to try it!

This is again very easy recipe, can be gathered in few minutes and takes less than half hour to bake. This recipe makes only about 10 fingers, so increase the amount accordingly for a large batch.

Ingredients

All purpose flour - 3/4 cup
Softened butter - 3 tablespoon
Powdered sugar - 3 tablespoon
Egg - 1
Vanilla - 1 teaspoon


Beat all the stuffs except flour.

Add the wet mix to the flour and mix well. Refrigerate the mix covered for 30 minutes.Meanwhile blanch the almonds for the nails.Soak the almonds in hot water over and for 2 minutes.

I microwaved the water on high for 3 minutes and soaked almonds in it for 2 minutes. Wash under cold water and remove the skin. Note: Do not keep in hot water for long, this will break the nuts.
 

Preheat oven at 180C/325F.

Take a teaspoon of the batter and roll it into shape of a finger.

 


Create the knuckles with a fork to make it real.


Bake for 20-25 minutes or till they are pale golden.




To make it more scary and gross, add blood, err jam or red food coloring (of course, I did not have red food color) around the nail bed and on the knuckles.



Scary I know, but you will love it.



Happy Halloween, my friends. How did you celebrate?


I have modified one of the above image for Black and White Wednesday # 103, a photography event started by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook, hosted this week by Lynne of Cafe Lynnylu. For event details, visit Cindystar blog.

1 comment:

  1. Very real and spooky! Thanks for submitting your image to BWW 103!

    ReplyDelete