Saturday, October 19, 2013

Okra aka Dha(n)rosh Curry

Okay, I confess. Okra is one of the vegetables that I hate.  Since time I remember I never was a fan of this slimy slim green vegetable. So, why do I blog about okra curry? Because, it has to be life's irony that the husband man loves okra, in any form. Since it is impossible to cook separate meals for 2 adults and one lil person that resides in our home, sometimes in spite of all the hatred I have to eat okra. Okra fry was okay with me but how many times in your life you can have the same thing!

This recipe I came to know from one of my neighbor. Aunty M too loves okra and often makes different dishes of it. Out of 2/3 recipes she suggested, this one was simplest and it turned out really well. I actually liked it and took a second help. Thank you Aunty M.

Ingredients

Okra - 15-18 pieces
Oninons - 2 medium, finely sliced
Red Chilli - 1
Ginger paste - 1/2 teaspoon
Yogurt - 2 tablespoon
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Nigella seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste.


Wash the okras well and pat dry. This way you can have less slimy ones. Cut it into small pieces.


Heat  1 tablespoon oil and add red chilli, cumin seeds and nigella seeds. As soon as they cracks, add onions.


Saute the onions till they are soft and bit transluscent. Add the okra pieces, ginger paste, cumin powder and turmeric. Mix well.


Whisk the curd with little water. When the okra becomes little soft, lower down the heat and add the yogurt mix to it. Cook till okra gets well done. If you like you can settle with more gravy instead of dry-ish way that I did.


Enjoy with rice or roti.



Note:
Cook okra with lid open, this way you can avoid the slimyness and keep it relatively dry.






No comments:

Post a Comment