Friday, October 25, 2013

Marinara Sauce - My Version

Well, let me say before hand. I am not even sure if it qualifies as marinara sauce. One of my colleague gave me this recipe, its pretty easy and we like it. So this one became my marinara sauce. I used to make it too often, pre lil A days. Yes, its been long time I made it. I forgot all about it and last week when  I was craving pasta, I remembered! So, here you go.

Ingredients

Canola oil - 1 tablespoon (Ideally olive oil, I did not have it; see, I told you, my version)
Garlic - 2 cloves (minced)
Carrots - 1 cup, diced
Tomatoes - 4 medium, chopped
Fennel seeds - Pinch
Pepper Flakes - Pinch (Remember to wash your hands)
Sugar - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - To taste


Heat oil and add the garlic cloves.  I was supposed to add 1 medium chopped onions here, but I totally forgot! You can add the onions here. But, it tasted good even without the onions.



Add the carrots and cook for 5-6 minutes till tender.


Add the tomatoes and fennel seeds. Add salt and sugar.


Cook covered for about 10 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.


At this stage, you can puree it for smoother version. I am lazy, I did not do it.


You can also freeze it for later use. I mainly use it in my pasta. It really adds a punch to the pasta dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment