Friday, February 15, 2013

Gota Sheddo

Growing up I never had gota sheddo, or at least not as a part of Saraswati Puja, the puja of Goddess of Learning. This I later came to know is a ghoti tradition, and being bangal I never got a chance to eat gota sheddo. Much later I had gota sheddo once at a friend's house and I really liked it. So, this year when I decided to do gota sheddo, I had no clue of where to start. All I know is that it consists of few whole or "gota" vegetables  and boiled with dal. So I called both my mother and mother-in-law to help me out. And then I made a version of mine (Neither my mother or mother-in-law ever made it themselves, so what they said was from their friend's version). So, here you go.

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes

Ingredients

Green moong dal- 1/2 cup
Matar dal- 1/4 cup
Baby red potatoes-5
Small raddishes-4-5
Green Beans-10-12
Peas with pods-10-12
Green chillies-2-3
Mustard oil- 2tbsp
Salt and sugar to taste

Wash and soak the dal for 15-30 minutes.
Wash the vegetables and keep it whole with skin on.


Put everything in a pot and cover it up with water. Start to cook in low medium heat.


Add salt and sugar to taste. You can also add ginger paste (1 tsp) to it. But I didn't add ginger as it is supposed to be niramish. It looks like this when almost cooked.


When the dal and vegetables get cooked, do a taste-test and drizzle the mustard oil on the top.

The gota sheddo turned out to be really nice. Instead of eating the next day with bashi bhaat, we ate it with garam bhath and totally loved it.


I am going to make this gota sheddo more often now, what about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment